Today I downsized my wallet. A while ago I carried what the internet refers to as a flat wallet. (What an odd thing to have its own website.) They're popular today, and I had bought mine at the mall because it had Alice in Wonderland on it. A few months ago, I decided I needed to cool my burning obsession with Alice and switched to a small makeup sized bag from a friend. It was roughly the same size as the wallet, but without sturdy walls, it could hold more. It was actually pretty great for keeping my nametag, a flash drive, and a small mint case holding emergency medicine like lactase and acetaminophen. But.. it was pretty big.
Today I decided that if I carry something so big, I will fill it with things, and if I had a smaller wallet, I would carry less. So I went to a local store where a friend works and bought a small change purse for a dollar.
Now I carry:
driver's license
debit card
university ID
public library card
health insurance card
health insurance dental card (I guess this is not mandatory)
Red Cross first aid and CPR recognition card (because I'm a teacher)
TB immunization record (because I'm a teacher)
half-price bookstore account card (may take this out soon)
Kroger account card
Sam's Club account card (embarrassed)
a small slip of paper with my husband's phone number in case I lose my phone
a few dollars (no change)
two band-aids
name tag
flash drive
mint case with lactase, acetaminophen, an O.B. tampon, and a mint
I also have gift cards to Eddie Bauer, Target, and the teacher resource center in town that I will carry until I've used them.
I no longer carry coupons or business rewards cards because if I make a purchase, I want to fully support that purchase.
My wallet is small and tidy now, and I no longer feel embarrassed when I pull it out, but someday I hope to move my account cards to my phone. Some minimalist blogs brag that they only carry their debit card and driver's license (or other government ID) secured by a wallet band. I feel like I need to carry a little more because of my profession, but also because I just haven't made it that far yet. No worries. I'm right where I need to be with my minimalism.
No comments:
Post a Comment