I used to love conditioning my hair. It felt so soft and gave me such a clean feeling. When I went "no poo," I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it at first. How could I give up my conditioner? I told myself that I may just wind up using baking soda as my shampoo and continuing to use commercial conditioner. It would depend on how the month-and-a-half-long trial period went.
At first, I tried to use apple cider vinegar water as conditioner, as recommended by most blogs. I hate vinegar. I may get used to it as I continue making the change to all-environmentally-friendly products around my house, but, at least for now, I just can't use it on my head.
I had to try one more thing before giving up completely: lemon juice.
As it turns out, I really like using lemon juice as a conditioner. It has such a bright, sunny fragrance that always makes me smile. Plus, it works just fine on my hair. Problem solved.
Today, my lemon juice water container was empty when I went to take my shower. Part out of laziness, I decided against going to make more. The water was already running, anyway. I'd just use a bit of my husband's conditioner.
It's only been about three months since I stopped using commercial shampoo and conditioner, but already I've completely made the change. I realized that this morning as the conditioner plopped into my hand. I ran it over my hair and instantly regretted doing so. The glop seemed so thick on my head, and when I tried to rinse it out, it foamed and stood its ground. It took five minutes of rinsing before I was satisfied, but I know I didn't get it all out. It's attached itself around the strands of my hair. It's greasy, thick, and disgusting.
Lesson learned. I'm sticking with my lemon juice from now on.
No comments:
Post a Comment